Meghalaya is beyond doubt one of the most beautiful destinations in India, with its capital city of Shillong being called the Scotland of the East. There is so much to see and explore in this picturesque state. From undulating hills to waterfalls to the living root bridges, there is much to be experienced.
Our 5 day trip starts and ends in Guwahati, with 2 nights in Shillong and 2 in Cherrapunji. We get plenty of time to acquaint ourselves with the local culture and the lifestyle of the warm and friendly Khasi people. We also get an opportunity to savour Meghalaya’s delectable cuisine and stroll around in the serene hill towns.
DAY 01: Guwahati – Shillong (140 km / 4 hours’ drive approx.)
Arrive Guwahati Airport / Railway Station and get transferred to the state capital of Meghalaya – Shillong. The city is picturesque in itself covered with undulating pine forests. As you reach Shillong, check in to the comforts of your hotel. Take some rest. In the evening explore the local markets and experience the British legacy which is still visible in the local architecture and food habits of the local Khasi tribes. Come to the hotel in the evening for overnight stay.
DAY 02: Shillong – Cherrapunji (60 kms / 2 hours’ drive approx.)
After having an early breakfast we leave for Cherrapunji – a land known for receiving highest rainfall in Asia, abound in plenty of waterfalls and scenic splendors. Enroute to Cherrapunji, we visit Elephanta falls and Shillong peak to get a bird's eye view of the Shillong city. Upon arrival at Cherrapunji, there are various natural sites on offer for you to enjoy. Marvel at the beauty of many waterfalls here and explore the stalactites and stalagmites of Mawsmai Cave. We have put lunch and then visit other locations such as Thankarang Park, Koh Ramhah and Khrem Falls. We check in to the hotel at Cherrapunji in the evening and enjoy the stunning hotel from the comforts of the hotel.
DAY 03: Cherrapunji
After breakfast we leave early for a trek to Single Decker Living Root Bridge which is 3 - 4 hours from the resort. This is a very popular destination in Meghalaya and a must explore. Trek route covers a distance of 4 kms down and up at a height of 1000 feet approx. The trek goes through village Sohsarat. The steps are relatively steep in two short stretches. Half the distance is covered by steps going downhill. Then there is a jungle path going along the sides of the hill leading to the Living Root Bridge with a few steps after short stretches of sloping foot path. Moss thrives on these sandstone steps during the monsoon which makes them extremely slippery. Follow the same route back while returning back to the resort. Evening enjoy your leisure time and return to your hotel in Cherrapunji for an overnight stay.
DAY 04: Cherrapunji – Shillong
Post breakfast, breathe in the fresh air that nature has on offer for you for one last time as you get transferred to Shillong, the capital city of Meghalaya. Upon arrival, check in to the hotel. In the afternoon explore the city of Shillong and visit Don Bosco Church, St Mary's Church, Wards Lake, and Umiam Lake. Return back to the hotel by evening for an overnight stay.
DAY 05: Shillong – Guwahati Airport
After breakfast get ready to leave for Guwahati airport / railway station for your travel back home.
Duration: 4 Nights/5 Days
Places Covered: Shillong, Cherrapunji
Best Time to go: Throughout the year
1. Meet & greet upon arrival
2. All applicable transfers & sightseeing as per the itinerary, (vehicle will not be on disposal)
3. Accommodation on the mentioned hotels for duration mentioned in the itinerary
4. Meals on CPAI basis
1. GST @ 5.0% or as applicable
2. Sightseeing entry fees, guide charge, Camera fee, any up-gradation charges
3. Cost for Evening snacks & Tea
4. Cost for service not mentioned under the ?Inclusions? heads
5. Cost for airfare, train fare or any other internal fare
6. Personal expenses such as laundry, soft drinks, mineral water, porter, tip etc.
7. Expenses incurred due to change in oil price, mishaps, landslide, strike, political unrest etc. In such case, extra will be charged as per actual which will be collected directly from the guest
8. Difference in cost arising due to change in fuel price
9. Difference in cost arising due to extra usage of vehicle other than scheduled mentioned in the itinerary