Weekend Getaways from Delhi NCR
Delhi, apart from being popular for its vibrant life, is also a gateway to many fun activities. Some of the weekend getaways from Delhi are listed below. Know more about Adventure Trips near Delhi NCR.
• Rishikesh: A city in the Dehradun district of Uttarakhand, Rishikesh has always been an ideal place for peace seekers. As it boasts numerous ashrams and yoga classes, it is often referred to as the yoga capital of the world. Besides, the place is also a prominent destination for enjoying white water river rafting. Know more about River Rafting in Rishikesh and Camping in Rishikesh.
Distance: At a distance of about 232 km from Delhi via NH 58.
• Jaipur: The capital city of Rajasthan, Jaipur is known for its rich cultural heritage. Tagged as the pink city, this place boasts of several attractions, which include magnificent palaces, massive forts, lovely havelis and serene temples. Hot air ballooning is one of the major activities that can be conducted here.
Distance: Located at a distance of about 269 km from Delhi, this city can also reached by air as a number of daily domestic flights are available from the national capital.
• Corbett: Situated in the Nainital district of Uttarakhand, Corbett is the oldest national park in India. Rich in flora and fauna, this park is the natural habitat of the endangered Bengal tigers; thus, attracts numerous wildlife lovers. Activities like trekking, fishing and wildlife safaris are carried out in the selected areas of the park.
Distance: You can drive to this park as it is about 251 km from Delhi via NH 24, or catch a train to Ramnagar, which is the nearest railhead to this park. From Ramnagar, you can avail taxis or buses.
• Sultanpur: Located in the Gurgaon district of Haryana, Sultanpur is known for its famous bird sanctuary. It is home to about 250 species of birds; hence, is one of the major destinations for avid birdwatchers. Over 100 migratory birds from Europe, Afghanistan and Siberia flock to this place every year.
Distance: In close proximity to Delhi, a drive to this bird sanctuary will hardly takes 2 hours via NH 8.
• Rohet Garh: Based on the edges of the Thar Desert, Rohet Garh is a beautiful place near Jodhpur that is famous for its fort. This fort, which dates back to 17th century, has now been turned into a heritage hotel. Situated amid the golden sands, this place provides a unique experience of desert safaris.
Distance: About 605 km.
• Bikaner: Located in the north-western part of Rajasthan, Bikaner is one of the major destinations on the desert tourism circuit. Founded by Rao Bikaji, this city boasts splendid forts and palaces, which stand as testimonies to its historical legacy. Set amid the golden sands, it provides travellers an amazing experience of camel safaris. Know more about Desert Camel Safari in Bikaner.
Distance: At a distance of about 450 km from Delhi via NH 11.
• Rajaji National Park: Created in 1983, this park is located in the Shivalik Ranges of the Himalayas, and covers three districts of Uttarakhand. Spread over an area of about 820 sq. km, this reserve is best known for wild elephants; however, it is home to many other species as well.
Distance: At a distance of about 181 km from Delhi.
• Manali: Nestled in the Kullu Valley, Manali beckons a large number of travellers for its bewitching scenic beauty. Situated at an elevation of about 2050 metres, this place boasts many adventure trails and has emerged as a prominent place for adventures like rafting, trekking, skiing and paragliding. Know more about Trekking in Manali.
Distance: At a distance of about 554 km from Delhi via NH 1 and NH 3.
• Shimla: The capital city of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla is a famous tourist hub and contributes a major part in the tourism sector. The city enjoys a pleasant weather during summers, which is why it was the summer capital of the British in India. Both nature lover sand adventure enthusiasts have a lot of things to do here. Know more about Adventure Tours in Himachal Pradesh.
Distance: At a distance of about 385 km from Delhi via NH 1.
• Junga: Located at a distance of about 26 km from Shimla, Junga is a tehsil in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Surrounded by verdant hills, snowy mountains, and forests of deodar and pine, this place is ideal for family holidays and adventures.
Distance: At a distance of about 351 km from Delhi via NH 1.
• Sariska: Situated in the Alwar district of Rajasthan, Sariska is a fascinating sanctuary bounded by the Aravallis. The reserve is a natural habitat for numerous wildlife species like wild boar, nilgai, leopard and chinkara, but is best known for Bengal tigers.
Distance: At a distance of about 211 km from Delhi via NH 8.
• Rafting: This water sport can be enjoyed at places like Rishikesh, Shimla, Manali and Corbett.
• Paragliding: Jaipur, Shimla, Rishikesh and Manali are some of the places, which have facilities for this activity.
• Hot Air Ballooning: This activity can be enjoyed in Rishikesh, Jaipur, Manali and Shimla during weekend getaways from Delhi.
• Birdwatching: Places like Bikaner, Sultanpur and Sariska are paradises for bird lovers.
• Safaris: Corbett, Rohet Garh, Rajaji National Park, Sariska and Jaipur are some of the ideal places, where safaris are arranged for enjoying in the wilderness.
• Trekking: The thrill involved in this activity can be best enjoyed at Rishikesh, Shimla and Corbett. Know more about Trekking in North India.
• Skiing: Manali and Shimla are amongst those best places where skiing can be enjoyed during weekend getaways from Delhi.
• Rock Climbing: The terrains of Manali, Corbett, Rishikesh and Jaipur provide some of the best trails for this activity.
• Rishikesh: May to November
• Jaipur: October to March
• Corbett: November to June
• Sultanpur: Winters
• Rohet Garh: October to March
• Bikaner: October to March
• Rajaji National Park: November to June
• Manali: Winters are ideal for snow sports while summers are best for both sightseeing and adventures.
• Shimla: April to June
• Junga: Summers
• Sariska: October to June