How to Reach
Mahua Kothi is conveniently situated in central Madhya Pradesh, near the major airports
of Khajuraho (230 km) and Jabalpur (190 km) It is also just 230 kms away from the
Kanha tiger reserve. It is easily accessible from the major cities of Delhi and
The nearest airport to Mahua Kothi is at Jabalpur. However, the most convenient
route to Bandhavgarh National Park is to fly from Delhi to Khajuraho and then drive
five and a half hours in. Though this is the longer route, the drive is very interesting.
The road crosses the Ken river, where some stretches have been declared a crocodile
sanctuary famous for Ghariyal, a rare fish eating crocodile. Then the road goes
past Panna town, famous for its diamond mines, to the midway point from where it
branches off on a subsidiary road across ridges of the Vindhyachal to Bandhavgarh.
- Fly to 5 ˝ hours to Khajuraho (winter months only), and a 6 hour drive via Satna
will get you to the lodge.
- Fly 3 ˝ hours to Jabalpur, from where the lodge is a 4-hour drive away.
- Fly to Gwalior, take a 12-hour train ride to Umaira, from where a 40 minute drive
will get you the lodge.
- Fly to Gwalior, take a train to Katni (approx. 10 hrs) and drive down to the lodge
in 2 1/2 hours. You could also take a train directly to Katni from Delhi (13-14
- All trains from Delhi stop at Gwalior
- Fly to Bhopal and take a connecting flight to Jabalpur, from where the lodge is
a 4-hour drive away.
The best time to visit the place is from October to April.
- Summers (March to May) are very dry and scorching with hot
sun and maximum temperature touching above 45 °C and sometimes soaring
up to 48 °C. Tourists typically avoid this season.
- Winters (December to February) are the pleasant season with cool climate all through.
- Monsoons (June to November) are accompanied with heavy showers and the Park thrives during the monsoons with fresh greeneries.
November to June is good for the Park visit as the park is closed from
July to October due to high monsoon days. March to June is good for
spotting many wild animals including tigers and leopards. During this
season one can get beautiful photographs of the wild animals moving
freely in the Park. July to October is good for short outings and
enjoying the vista of natural beauty which is at the pinnacle.