Desert Camping in Rajasthan
Explore the land of endless sand dunes, and enjoy life amid the golden sands, by going for camping in Rajasthan. Whether it is about camping on sand dunes, desert camping or camel safaris, this state offers oodles of opportunities to unfold its rich cultural heritage and natural beauty. It boasts several campsites, which include Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Pushkar and Ranthambore. There are lots of activities you can indulge in during your tour to this place.
• Camping on Sand Dunes: Far from the humdrum of the bustling cities and towns, camping on sand dunes is an ideal way to rejuvenate your mind and soul. Enjoy the silence of the desert and spend a night gazing at the stars or enjoying traditional folk dances. Plan and spend a pleasant vacation on the landscape of the dazzling dunes, and delight yourself by the warm welcome and hospitality of the local crowd.
• Desert Camping: Camping in desert is the best way to experience the nomadic life. Located amid sand dunes, camps have pleasant ambience and calm environs. The campsites are usually canvas tents, which offer excellent lodging and boarding facilities for your comfort. Under the star-studded sky and cool desert breeze, you can savour delectable Rajasthani dishes.
• Camel Safari: Riding on a camel back through the barren land and drifting sand dunes is something that you would never like to miss. To acquaint yourself with the desert life and explore the desert regions of India, camel safaris are the best means. As long as you choose to go far on a safari, you will be able to sight the remotest areas of the desert. Know more about Desert Camel Safari in Rajasthan.
Some of the famous places that travellers frequent to have an unique experience of camping in Rajasthan are as under.
1. Jodhpur: Founded by Rao Jodha – leader of the Rajput clan, Jodhpur is the second largest city in Rajasthan. This princely city houses several magnificent palaces, splendid fortresses, dazzling lakes and divine places. Besides, the city is also known for its exquisite handicrafts. Osian, a town in Jodhpur district of Rajasthan, is a popular place for desert camping and camel safaris.
2. Jaisalmer: Referred to as the golden city, Jaisalmer is a bustling desert city that utters the fables of the bygone era. Founded in AD 1156, this city got its name after its founder Rawal Jaisal. Listed as a World Heritage Site, this royal city boasts several tourist attractions, and is also a prominent place worth visiting during your tour to the desert circuit. With vast stretches of sand dunes, the place provides for camel safaris, which through the golden crests and troughs, let you experience the limitlessness of this grand desert region.
3. Pushkar: Located in the Ajmer district of Rajasthan, Pushkar is one of the oldest existing places of India, and has its creation associated with Lord Brahma. This place holds an important position among Hindus as it is known to have the only temple of Lord Brahma. The other major attraction of this pilgrimage site is camel safari. This place provides you an amazing experience of riding through the sandy tracks and remote villages.
4. Ranthambore: Situated at the juncture of Vindhyas and Aravallis, Ranthambore is renowned for sheltering Indian tigers. Sprawling over a large area, the rugged terrains of this park also provide home to several other wild species like leopards, langurs, marsh crocodiles, deer and wild boars. To sight all these animals roaming freely in the park, safari is the best option to go with. You can also opt for camping in Ranthambore as it is a perfect way to reconnect with nature, and view wildlife from such closeness.
As the desert areas experience extremely hot climatic conditions during summers with intense heat of the sun, winters are the best time to go for camping in Rajasthan. The season between the months of October and March is an ideal time to visit as the weather during this period is pleasant with less intense temperatures.
Check out these amazing camping adventures
The best of destinations and activites for you