Camping in Shimla
If you are tired of hectic schedules, daily humdrum and chaotic city life, then camping in Shimla can set the rhythm of life right. So come and enjoy a relaxing vacation amidst landscapes of unblemished beauty.
The capital city of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla is a hub of Indian tourism industry. For its bewitching scenic beauty, this place is a paradise for nature lovers and honeymooners. It enjoys a moderate temperature all round the year and thus, was the summer capital of British India. Camping in Shimla is the best way to escape the scorching heat of summers in other parts of the country.
1. Junga: Located in Shimla district of Himachal Pradesh, Junga is known for its erstwhile princely estate – Keonthal Estate. With green hills and snowy peaks all around, this place is a picture perfect location for your vacations. The place enjoys a pleasant climate for most times of the year but the cool breeze from the Himalayas makes the winters chilly.
Going for camping in this hill town is truly a unique experience, unlike staying at some big hotel. Camping deep in the forest would not give you a luxurious stay but here you will find peace of mind – the greatest comfort. Amid the scenic surroundings, you will be able to explore nature at its best. The facilities provided by the camp include waterproof canvas, dining area, conference room, filtered water and house-keeping. Zip-line, rappelling, jummaring, stream walking, and day and night trekking are some of the activities here.
• By Air: Shimla Airport in Jubbarhatti, at a distance of about 48 km from this place, is the nearest airport. This airport is well-connected to the major cities by a good number of flights.
• By Rail: At a distance of 24 km from Junga, Kandaghat is the nearest railhead.
• By Road: You can reach this place from Shimla, which is about 41 km from here. Alternatively, you can also come from Delhi, and a drive from there will take about 6 hours. Chandigarh, at a distance of 105 km, is also a good option to reach from.
2. Shoghi: A picturesque suburb of Shimla, Shoghi is a paradise for nature lovers. Situated at an elevation of 5700 feet, this place is famous for the Tara Devi Temple, which was built about 250 years back. Encircled by oak and pine forests, this place with its tranquillising environs provides the much needed peace to travellers.
Camping in Shimla amid the picturesque landscape and peaceful locales of Shoghi is something that seclusion-seeking travellers search for. The campsites are generally bamboo cottages or Swiss deluxe tents. All these accommodation units feature comfortable beds, chairs, tables, en suite bathrooms, and hot and cold water. You can dine at the restaurant or prepare your own meals in the kitchen. The camp also arranges recreational and team building activities.
• By Air: At a drive of about 35 minutes to Shoghi, Shimla Airport is the nearest airport to this place.
• By Rail: You can also access this place by rail network as IT has its own railway station. From Shoghi Railway Station, a drive to this place will hardly take 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, you can also come from Kandaghat Railway Station, which is about 18 km from here.
• By Road: At a distance of about 16 km from Shimla, you can easily reach this place via NH 22.
3. Thanedar: Located on the old Hindustan-Tibet road, Thanedar is a beautiful place near Shimla. It is known for its acres of cherry and apple orchards. At an altitude of about 7700 feet, this place is surrounded by a panoramic scenery of mountain ranges. The farthest ranges are clad in snow, whereas other ranges are deodar clad. This place is a perfect destination for those who prefer nature above luxury.
Encompassed by tall conifer trees, the camps in Thanedar provide accommodation of all types, ranging from deluxe rooms to log cabins. All these units feature comfortable mattresses, attached bathrooms with hot and cold water running throughout the day and open balconies. While camping in Thanedar, you can also visit nearby places like Hatu Peak, Saroga Forest, Parmjyotir Temple and Tani Jubber Lake.
• By Air: The nearest airport to this place is Shimla Airport, which is about 99 km from here.
• By Rail: Kalka is the nearest railhead to this campsite.
• By Road: You can reach this campsite from Shimla within a time frame of 2 hours as it is about 74 km from this camp.
• Junga: In summers
• Shoghi: March to June
• Thanedar: Throughout the year