Trekking in Mcleodganj
With beautiful hills, emerald valleys and fresh rejuvenating mountain air, trekking in Mcleodganj will make sure that you leave for your home with a happy and content soul. Set against the mesmerising backdrop of the Kangra Valley, this place for its immense beauty is frequented by a horde of travellers. 'Defined by abrupt valleys, forests and grasslands, this region in recent times has also grabbed the attention of adventure junkies. The rugged terrain of this trail demands for strenuous trekking but the ethereal surroundings are sure to leave you spellbound.
Mcleodganj – a suburb of Dharamsala – is located in the Kangra district of the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. Perched at an average altitude of 2082 metres, it is in the lofty Dhauladhar Range. The place is named after its founder Sir Donald Friell Mcleod, who established it in 1848 as a retreat from the scorching heat of the plains. In the early 1900s, the place became an important centre of commerce and trade in the Kangra district.
As the place is mostly inhabited by the Tibetans, it is fondly called Little Lhasa. The headquarters of Tibetan government in exile, which works for the rehabilitation of the Tibetan refugees, is also located here. Though a number of travellers throng this place for learning about the Tibetan culture, it also have a stronghold in the tourism industry of India. The place boasts a myriad of tourist attractions, such as Dalai Lama Temple, Masroor Temple, Tibet Museum, Triund Hill, Bhagsunath Temple, Bhagsu Waterfall and Namgyalma Stupa.
This place is also noted for its popular Dharamsala International Film Festival, which is hosted in an order to promote media, contemporary cinema and art in the Himalayan region. You can be a part of this grand festival, if you plan your trekking in Mcleodganj accordingly.
Dharamsala Trek: Set against a picturesque scenery of snow-capped mountains, Dharamsala trek offers a chance to explore high slopes of the Kangra Valley. Being a carpeted landscape of dense deodar and pine forests, this emerald trail presents scenic surroundings to stroll around. The beauty of the trail is accentuated by the beautiful snowline and numerous streams meandering through.
The trek has a balanced ratio of easy and tough sections, thus demands for both leisure and muscle-straining walks. This enthralling terrain amid the lofty mountainous ranges of the Kangra Valley has everything that makes it as one of the best expeditions of trekking in Mcleodganj. For all those who seek a thrilling experience, this is a perfect platform to enjoy an adrenaline rush.
The mercury levels in the months of March and June are just ideal for enjoying sightseeing, outdoor activities and trekking in Mcleodganj. Then again the period between mid-September and November is best as roads are free from blockage, and the terrains are best for trekking and walking. Yet, a number of travellers say that any time of the year is ideal to experience the ethereal beauty of the place.
• Flora: The prominent species that are found in this region include deodar, spruce, fir and oak. A large variety of fruits, such as plums, peaches, berries and apples, are also found in abundance. Teeming with lush meadows, the valleys and hillocks of the region have emerald surroundings.
• Fauna: The region has a rich treasure of varied biodiversity, which includes blue mountain sheep, ghoral, panther, black bear, snow leopard, porcupine and sambar. Jackal, flying squirrel, spotted deer, fox, Himalayan pine martin and langur are some other species found here.
A sizeable population of birds like parrot, spotted dove, green pigeon, vulture and woodpecker is also sighted here.
Mcleodganj experiences a subtropical type of climate, which can be categorised into seasons as under.
• Summer: This season usually starts from March and lasts till June, with mercury levels ranging between 22 and 38 degree Celsius. With pleasant days and cool nights, trekking in Mcleodganj can be best enjoyed during this season.
• Monsoon: Although the region enjoys monsoons from July to mid-September, heavy downpour occurs in the months of July and August.
• Autumn: Once the rain peters out the region, the landscape in the period of mid-September till November looks its beautiful best.
• Winter: The months from December till February are severely cold, with some parts experiencing sleet and snowfall.
With a picture-perfect backdrop of snowy mountain ranges and lush forests of deodar and pine, this place has enchanting locales. This trek encompassed by lush valleys, snowline, gushing streams and monasteries gives you an opportunity to click beautiful snapshots while trekking in Mcleodganj.