Weekend Getaways from Goa
Weekend Getaways in Goa are sure to be full of fun and excitement, and you may even get to learn something new. Due to its location on the coast, most activities that you can enjoy over the weekend are centred around the sea. If nothing else comes to your mind, then you can always travel through the state for sightseeing and other activities. Know more about Adventure Tours in Goa
Located in West India, Goa is the smallest state in the country by area. Geographically, the state comes under the Konkan region, which in turn makes up a section of the Sahyadri Range. Goa has a coastline of over 100 km, which is the main reason for its tourist appeal. The part of the state where there are no hills is mostly at sea level. Due to its location near the sea, the weather here remains humid and hot for most parts of the year.
There is never much change in temperature; hence, you may come here whenever you want. If you want to have fun at the sea, then come here between November and April as this period carries a lesser chance of rains, when compared to other months.
The two best things that you can engage in during weekend getaways in Goa are sailing and scuba diving. Both these activities will be highly informative, and will allow you to spend your leisure time doing something constructive.
1. Sailing: Set sail on the Arabian Sea, and get away from the chaotic world for a while. It is a nice activity because it will not only help you tune up your sailing skills, but also keep you fit.
• Location: You will set sail from Bambolim Beach, which is in North District.
• Ideal Time: Sailing is organised in the afternoon after 10:30 am due to favourable wind conditions and low tide.
• Boats: You can board many different types of boats, which range from 25 feet to 40 feet in length; and are luxurious, sporty or fast.
• The Team: You will be given a briefing about the art of sailing by experienced and trained instructors who will also accompany you on the trip.
• Age Limit and Safety Measures: There is no age limit to bar you from enjoying this activity. Even if you are not a swimmer, you can still set sail as the boats have all necessary safety equipment like life jackets and rescue boats. All you need to ensure is that you have the basic level of physical fitness.
• Attire and Necessary Things to Carry: As the main aim of the activity is relaxation, you should wear clothes that allow free movement. Cotton clothes like T-shirts and shorts will be perfect. Carry sunglasses and sunscreen lotion as in the afternoon, the UV exposure would be significantly high. Know more about Sailing in Goa
2. Scuba Diving: Goa is among the best places for scuba diving in India as the sea here IS generally calm and rich in marine life.
• What is scuba? SCUBA is used to refer to the equipment that you will have with you. It consists of an oxygen tank, full-face mask with breather, air-supply tubes and pressure-control valves.
• About Scuba Diving in Goa: Before you actually dive, you will be briefed and trained in the sport. Skills like regulator clearing, mask cleaning and sharing the air-supply of your partner will be taught to you in the swimming pool. This exercise will also help in making you comfortable in water.
• Enrolment: To enrol, you will have to submit a medical statement, stating that you do not have any health risks. If the statement says that you suffer from any ailment, you will be required to get a doctor to deem you fit. After everything is found to be in order, you will get a form of acceptance to sign.
• Age Limit: To scuba dive, you have to be above 10 years of age. Know more about Scuba Diving in Goa
Best Time to Go
Both sailing and scuba diving are available between October and May.
Best Places to Visit
Goa State Museum, Se Cathedral, Basilica of Bom Jesus and the beaches are the best places to visit during weekend getaways in Goa.