Weekend Getaways from Mysore
Take a short escapade from your daily routine and plan for weekend getaways from Mysore. Enjoying the salubrious climate all year round, Mysore is an ideal destination to enjoy a perfect weekend. The aromatic surroundings of the rose and sandalwood plantations, beautiful serene lakes, and a dense forest cover attract a large number of travellers who seek a relaxing vacation in the lap of nature.
Based at foothills of the Chamundi Hills, Mysore is the third largest city in the state of Karnataka. Known as the City of Palaces, this city boasts several grand palaces, which include Mysore Palace, Rajendra Vilas and Lalitha Mahal. The city is also known for the grand celebrations of the Dasara festival, and is referred to as the cultural capital of South Karnataka.
1. Kabini River Lodge: Situated inside the Nagarhole National Park, Kabini River Lodge is a 54-acre estate along the banks of River Kabini. Once a hunting property of the Mysore emperors, this property now belongs to the Government of Karnataka. Rated as one of the best nature lodges in India, this resort is among the finest weekend getaways from Mysore. This huge property boasts 14 well-equipped, spacious and lavishly decorated rooms, which feature double beds and en suite bathrooms. You need not spend your whole day watching TV as the lodge also has a well-stocked bar and Gol Ghar (dining area), where you can relish sumptuous buffets, drinks and barbeque.
• By Air: Mandakalli Airport is the nearest airport to this lodge. It is well-connected to all the major cities by a good network of domestic flights.
• By Rail: The nearest railhead to this place is Mysore, from where you can avail taxis or auto-rickshaws to reach here.
• By Road: As the place is about 90 km from Mysore, a drive to it will hardly take 2 hours.
2. Bheemeshwari Nature and Adventure Camp: Away from the humdrum of cities, Bheemeshwari Nature and Adventure Camp has a perfect location to let you enjoy the warmth of nature. Amidst dense forests and lofty ranges, this campsite boasts wooden huts, tented cottages and luxury rooms. With a rich treasure trove of flora and fauna, it is a paradise for wildlife and nature lovers. Apart from hosting more than 200 avian species, this area is mostly known for its large tropical fish – Mahseer.
• By Air: The closest airport to this camp is Mandakalli Airport, which has regular flights from major Indian cities.
• By Rail: Located close to the city and having good connectivity from various cities, Mysore City Railway Station is the nearest railhead for this camp.
• By Road: About 86 km from the Mysore city, this camp can be easily reached via SH 33.
3. Bandipur Safari Lodge: An establishment of the Karnataka Government, Bandipur Safari Lodge is an ideal place to stay in and explore the Bandipur National Park. Located in the outskirts of the national park, it provides a comfortable accommodation to travellers with its 10 special and 12 regular cottages. Some cottages have tiled floors, wooden ceilings and brick walls while others have pure white ceilings and walls, with beautiful 3D paintings of animals hung around. The lodge also features a large circular gazebo, where you can enjoy delicious meals with other guests. While beholding the panoramic scene of the Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta Peak, you can enjoy dancing and singing around the warm bonfire.
• By Air: Mandakalli Airport, at a distance of about 69 km, is the nearest airport to this lodge.
• By Rail: At about 80 km, Mysore is the nearest railhead to this place. There are taxi and bus services available from the station to this park.
• By Road: The park is well-connected by roads and can be reached easily from Mysore via NH 212. At about 77 km from this city, the lodge can be reached in about 1.5 hours.
• Kabini River Lodge: The lodge offers you a number of options to explore forests by the Kabini River. You may either go for a wildlife or Jeep safari, or simply hike through the Western Ghats. If you want to sail on the calm waters of this river, then go for motor boating or coracle riding.
• Bheemeshwari Nature and Adventure Camp: This camp arranges for oodles of fun activities that you can indulge in. You can go for trekking through the low height hills or sailing on the Kaveri River. Else, take out your bikes and enjoy mountain biking on the rugged terrains of the region. Zip-lining, rafting and rope walking are some other activities that you can enjoy here.
• Bandipur Safari Lodge: Nature walks and wildlife safaris are the best ways to sight the exotic wildlife of this area. With around 250 species of avifauna, this area provides one of the best experiences of birdwatching during your weekend getaways from Mysore.
• Kabini River Lodge: During summers
• Bheemeshwari Nature and Adventure Camp: August to February
• Bandipur Safari Lodge: March to May