Adventure Trips Near Mumbai
Mumbai, the capital city of Maharashtra, is the most modern city of India. Alive, pulsating, vibrant and lively are all the terms, which define all the spheres of this city. It has no dearth of fun and delight, whether you talk about sightseeing, shopping, amusement, cuisines or just catching a glimpse of Bollywood stars. After getting yourself revelled in the tranquillising atmosphere of this city, you can opt for adventure trips near Mumbai.
1. Kamshet: Located in the Pune district of Maharashtra, Kamshet is a small town at an elevation of about 2200 feet above sea level. Bounded by hills, Kamshet is sure to secure a place in your itinerary for adventure trips near Mumbai if you are an adventure enthusiast. With its perfect topography and climate, this place fulfils your dream of soaring high in the sky.
How to Reach Kamshet
By Road: It is located at a distance of about 102 km from Mumbai via Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
By Rail: The nearest rail head is Lonavala, and a number of trains operate between it and Mumbai. From Lonavala, you can hire a taxi to reach Kamshet.
2. Lonavala: Nestled in the soaring ranges of Sahyadri, Lonavala is a beautiful hill resort in Maharashtra. Hordes of travellers pay their visit to this picturesque hill resort in an endeavour to explore its beautiful terrains. In recent years, Lonavala has garnered the attention of adventure lovers for it provides an experience of hot air ballooning.
How to Reach Lonavala
By Road: This lovely hill station is about 84 km from Mumbai and takes around 1 hour via Sion-Panvel Expressway.
By Rail: It is well-connected to Mumbai through rail network. Some of the major trains running between these destinations are Deccan Express, Sahyadri Express and Chennai Mail.
3. Kolad: Situated along the Kundalika River, Kolad is a village in the Raigad district. Kundalika River is the major attraction of this village. Known for its furious waters, this river has shot in prominence among adventurers. With its plethora of activities like rafting, trekking, mountain biking and rappelling, Kolad appeals to those seeking an adrenaline rush during adventure trips near Mumbai.
How to Reach Kolad
By Road: It is about 112 km from Mumbai via NH 66, and if traffic snarls are low, then it is at a drive of about 2 hours.
By Rail: A good network of trains exists between Mumbai and Lonavala, which is the nearest railhead to this place. From the station you can avail taxi services.
4. Goa: Located in the Konkan region, it attracts a large number of tourists towards its vibrant life. Balmy shores, sparkling blue waters and white sands are things that appeal to travellers who plan for a dream holiday here. The long coastline makes it an ideal spot for enjoying water sports like scuba diving, parasailing, water skiing and water scooter ride.
How to Reach Goa
By Road: It is at a distance of 590 km from Mumbai via NH 4 and driving to it will take at least 9 hours.
By Rail: Konkanya Express, Mandovi Express and Jan Shatabdi Express are some of the super-fast trains running between these destinations.
• Kamshet Paragliding: Kamshet is an idyllic destination for paragliding with its perfect topography and reliable weather conditions. The low hills of Sahyadri and the winds blowing with an average speed of 20 kmph are ideal for a smooth launch and landing. This region maintains reliable climatic conditions for 8 months; hence is a preferred site for paragliding.
• Lonavala Hot Air Ballooning: Situated amid the Western Ghats, Lonavala is a hotspot for hot air ballooning. During a hot air balloon ride, an enchanting scenery of Sahyadri Ranges, gushing waterfalls and thick forests can be captured in cameras.
• Kundalika Rafting: With its 14 km stretch of exciting rapids, the Kundalika River is a hotspot for rafting. It is the only river in Maharashtra where this water sport is carried out. Fed by waters from the nearby dams, this river provides rapids of Grade II and III.
• Camping in Maharashtra: If you plans either to camp in the lap of the nature or in the luxury tents, then Maharashtra is sure to promise you a mesmerising experience. With its series of hill resorts and vast coastline, this state has several campsites, including Karnala Bird Sanctuary, Lonavala and Kolad.
• Sailing in Mumbai and Goa: With their long stretches of shorelines, these places are the best destinations offering sailing in the blue waters. Marve and Kolava in Mumbai, and Palolem and Anjuna beaches in Goa are some of the sailing sites.
• Scuba in Goa: The long coastline of Goa, abundant in corals, aquatic life and beautiful shells, give you a golden chance to explore the underwater world. Scuba diving here can be enjoyed at some of its best sites, which include Locker of Davy Jones, Bay of Bounty and The Jetty.
Best Time to Go
• Paragliding in Kamshet: October to June
• Hot Air Ballooning in Lonavala: September or October till March
• Rafting in Kolad: June to October
• Sailing in Goa: October to April
• Scuba in Goa: November to April