Adventure Trips near Pune
Pune, the cultural capital of Maharashtra, is a city at an elevation of 560 metres above sea level. Tagged as the queen of the Deccan, this city is surrounded by green hills and sparkling lakes. During your vacations in this city, you can also plan for adventure trips near Pune.
1. Kamshet: At a height of 2200 feet above sea level, Kamshet is a small hamlet in Maharashtra. Nestled in lofty ranges of the Western Ghats, this place is a paradise for those who seek some adrenaline rush. As it has a perfect topography and climate for paragliding, Kamshet has emerged as an idyllic destination for the same.
How to Reach
By Road: It is about 49 km from Pune via NH 4. The drive will hardly take 1 hour if the traffic is less.
By Rail: There are numerous local trains from Pune to Kamshet that run on a daily basis.
2. Lonavala: Surrounded by verdant hills of Sahyadri, Lonavala is a beautiful hill station of Maharashtra. With its extreme terrains and pleasant climate, this hill station is a prominent place for enjoying thrills. Hordes of adventurers frequent this place as it offers an amazing experience of hot air balloon ride.
How to Reach
By Road: A drive from Pune to Lonavala hardly takes 1.5 hours as it is just 66.2 km from this city via Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
By Rail: Most of the trains, which cross the Mumbai-Pune rail line, halt at Lonavala so there are plenty of options to get there.
3. Kolad: A small village in the Raigad district of Maharashtra, Kolad is known for the Kundalika River, which is a fast-flowing river. As it provide some of the best thrilling trails, a range of adventure activities like mountain biking, rappelling, trekking and rafting can be experienced here during adventure trips near Pune.
How to Reach
By Road: It is about 144 km from Pune via Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
By Rail: The nearest railhead is Lonavala, and a number of trains run between it and Pune. From Lonavala, you can avail taxi services.
4. Mumbai: It is the capital city of Maharashtra, and is renowned for being home to the film industry of India. With its full package of entertainment, this city welcomes a large number of travellers from all across the globe. Known as the city of seven islands, Mumbai arranges for water sports like sailing and scuba diving.
How to Reach
By Road: At a distance of about 147 km from Pune, this city can be easily reached within a short drive of about 3 hours.
By Rail: Indrayani SF Express, Visakhapatnam-Mumbai LTT Express and Deccan Queen are some of the trains between these two destinations.
5. Goa: Bounded by the Sahyadri Ranges on one side and the Arabian Sea on other, Goa is a rich treasure of lush greenery and beautiful beaches. Apart from its scenic beauty, this place also provides for a range of water activities, which include parasailing, water skiing, water scooter rides and scuba diving.
How to Reach
By Road: It is at a distance of about 444 km from Pune via NH 4.
By Rail: Goa Express running on a regular basis is one of the best options to reach Goa from Pune.
• Kamshet Paragliding: Nestled in the Sahyadri Ranges, Kamshet provides an ideal topography for paragliding. The winds with an average speed of 20 kmph make the site ideal for this adventure. As this place has reliable weather for about eight months, it is a paragliding hotspot.
• Hot Air Ballooning at Lonavala: Set amid the picturesque scenery of nature, this hill station offers a mesmerising experience of flying over a landscape of beautiful hills, lush greenery and serene lakes. Hot air balloon ride is a favourite activity among travellers coming to Jaipur.
• Kundalika Rafting: Kundalika River is the only river in Maharashtra that provides river rafting. Fed by the waters released from the nearby dams, the challenging waters of this river, with Grade II and III rapids, call you for a fabulous experience.
• Camping in Maharashtra: Located in the extreme geography of the Arabian Sea and Deccan Plateau, Maharashtra provides for both wildlife and leisure camping. Lonavala, Karnala Bird Sanctuary and Kolad are some of the popular camp sites of this state.
• Sailing in Mumbai and Goa: Located along the vast stretches of coastlines, these places host a number of adventure activities, such as sailing. Palolem and Anjuna Beach in Goa, and Kolava and Marve in Mumbai are some of the most-visited sites.
• Scuba in Goa: The shores of Goa are sure to give you a unique experience of sighting the beautiful aquatic life, which resides under the sea. Bay of Bounty, The Jetty and Locker of Davy Jones are some of the places where you can indulge in this activity.
Best Time to Go
• Paragliding in Kamshet: October to June
• Hot Air Ballooning in Lonavala: September or October till March
• Rafting in Kolad: June to October
• Sailing in Mumbai: During winters
• Scuba in Goa: November to April